Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Non-fiction Writing Unit with Parent Involvement

Are you looking for a way to get your parents involved?  Look no further!  I have compiled my non-fiction animal research project and parent memory book piece along with celebration ideas in one 24 page package.  It has step by step directions, pictures of student work and celebration activities, letters to parents and directions on how to make student and parent books.   Come on over to my TPT store to take a peek.   It is my most favorite project I do in first grade!!!  The parents make a memory book for their child (secretly) and come to our celebration (their attendance is kept a secret as well) to surprise their child with the book.  The kids share their animal research books and the parents share their memory books.  Here are a couple pictures of our celebration food tables from this year.  It's a lot of work, but worth every minute!  



1 comment:

Mrs. B said...

I love this idea!!! I'll be moving schools next year, and it's a school where I'm probably really going to have to push for parent involvement. I hate to ask this question, but do all your parents participate in this? If so, how do you get them to do it?